Vanderlande Industries is a project driven organization with projects for Airports, Warehouse Systems and Parcel Systems. The work field for the North America office is USA, Canada and Mexico. The projects are managed by the Project Manager with the focus on Time, Money and Function. For the Time part, the Project Manager is assisted by a Project Planner.
The Project Planner works with all project team members to break down the project in activities and milestones. The activities should cover the scope of the project in measurable parts. The milestones can come from the customer and drive the project, or come from the project to indicate the progress.
The Project Planner enters all activities and milestones in the Primavera planning tool, and links them in a logical way. The result is the Project Schedule that is used for the execution of the project. The Project Planner will also use the baselining function of the planning tool, to compare the progress during the project execution with the initially agreed plan.
The Project Planner is responsible for gathering the information needed from all project team member, to be able to update the ongoing activities on a weekly basis. The result is reported to the project team and discussed in the weekly project team meetings. It is the responsibility of the planner to bring up any deviations from the project plan and get an agreement with the team members on actions needed, to come back to the initially agreed plan.
The Primavera planning tool has direct interfaces with the accounting system as well as with the supply chain system. Therefore, it is very important that the Project Planner is very accurate in creating and updating the project schedule and the use of coding fields for the activities and milestones.
Based on the above, the requirements for a Project Planner are:
· Strong analytical and communication skills
· Have a good knowledge of the work and scope of the activities, to understand the contribution of all project team members to the project
· Being able to perform a desk function for about 50% of the time with a high level of accuracy
· Willing and able to travel to job sites for about 5% to 10% of the time, mostly for shorter trips (less than a week)
· Preferred is to have a BS/BA degree in Engineering, Construction Management or comparable, or have a relevant experience.
· Willing and able to have a training on the job